- Published: Wednesday, 04 March 2015 16:10
Storing drawings on aperture cards used to be a great solution to store large technical drawings without taking up a lot of space, but they're not particularly efficient for working with. So what can you do?
Aperture card scanning is a fairly new solution to update files previously stored on aperture cards but many people are still 'umming and ahhing' about whether to go digital.
Why are people so reluctant to go digital?
Our reluctance to embrace digital technology has been occurring for years. From switching to digital tv (from our old favourite, analogue) to the birth of the smartphone. We often find that we are so set in our ways that when something new and completely different comes along, a number of people would rather stay in their comfort zone than attempt to get used to new technology. But it just takes a small number of people to see the great benefits of a new idea for it to gather speed and before we know it everyone is doing it.
The same can happen with aperture card scanning...
Downsides to storing files on aperture cards
- Files are susceptible to loss, theft and damage.
- It is a long and drawn out process the view the files stored.
- It can be difficult to find the card you need.
- You can't edit files without creating new ones.
- Sharing files is difficult.
Most of our lives now revolve around digital technology and making everything quicker and more efficient. This is why aperture cards are becoming outdated; they no longer offer the most efficient way to store documents and large format drawings. A lot of us store files and documents in digital format on computers and in the cloud so, naturally, that is the best place to store those files too.
Transferring files from aperture cards to digital files is easier than you think too! You just need to outsource the work to scanning services with the equipment to digitise your aperture cards into high quality, indexed and fully text-searchable images. Once your files have been converted and delivered, you will be able to enjoy the wide range of benefits that digital file storage brings.
Benefits of Aperture Card Scanning
- You can work with your digital files with a great deal more efficiency.
- Files are more secure with password protection, digital backups and file encryption protecting them from loss, theft and damage.
- Files can be found in an instant.
- The files can be stored on a shared network to be available for colleagues and relevant parties to view when required.
- Documents can be accessed anywhere, at any time without the need for the card or extra technology.
- You can increase your productivity and thus save money with potentially less unproductive tasks being undertaken.
Pearl Scan Aperture Card Scanning Service
Here at Pearl Scan we offer an aperture card scanning service that brings all of the great benefits mentioned above. We can digitise technical drawings and any other documents stored on aperture cards using our top of the range scanners. Our service is completely bespoke so you can decide what format (PDF, TIFF, JPEG etc.) you want the documents scanned to and what format they are delivered on (CD, DVD, USB, SECURE FTP etc.). We also provide OCR processing, file retrieval software and also the use of our online cloud platform, Pearl Cloud. If you would like some more information about the aperture card scanning services we offer, please browse our website or get in touch today for a free, no obligation quote for your scanning project.