- Created: Monday, 17 March 2014 14:35
We are a Document Scanning company based in London and Manchester with more than 10 years' of experience in the UK, our scanning process goes through a strict supervision and we use the latest in image processing technology to guaranty the best results. Microfiche scanning is a way of extracting the data contained on microfiche images and converting them to digital files which can be read on computers, tablets and smart phones. When microfiche is scanned it is run through a specialist scanner which is operated by hand to capture a digital image of what is on the microfiche itself. This image is then converted to a familiar digital format such as PDF, TIFF or JPEG depending upon preferences.
In this section you will find the process of scanning and digitizing all types of microfiche you'll also find out how here at Pearl Scan Solutions UK we can help you scan and digitize your microfiche or microfilm.
What is Microfiche?
Microfiche are shrunken pages of information which have been put onto a film. When companies had a lot of documents or a lot of files but didn't really have the space or wanted to save a lot more space in and around their offices. In effect microfiche were the external hard drives of those days, a way to save larger files in a small place in order to save space. At the time it would've been truly revolutionary and as it turns out we were thinking about saving space long before the advent of the 21st century, although not as obsessively as we do today.
Microfiche are flat and small sheets of microfilm on which newspapers, manuals, books, newspapers, and other documents can be photographed in reduced form. It is usually about ISO A6 paper size (105 X148 mm).
A single Microfiche can have a mix collection of microfilm images. All microfiche are read with text that is parallel to the fiche's long side. Frames can either be portrait or landscape. A title may be recorded along the top of the Microfiche for identification purposes. A 10 x 14 mm portrait image is the most commonly used format. Magazine pages or office size papers usually require a reduction of 24 or 25.
Microfiche is usually stored in open top envelopes. These envelopes are either put in boxes or drawers as file cards or fitted into pockets in purpose made books If you would like to know more about Microfiche, read our blog post about Microfiche.
These are the types of Microfiche scanning service that we offer at Pearl Scan Solutions.
- 16 mm. and 35 mm. Microfiche
- COM Microfiche (Computer Output Microfiche)
- COMBI (Combined) Microfiche
16 mm. Microfiche
35 mm Microfiche
16 mm. and 35 mm. Microfiche
A standard microfiche normally consists of a matrix of 98 frames of data, each frame consisting of an A4 (297mm x 210mm) size page standard ISO A6 paper size.
There are multiple types of configurations for an image matrix of a 16 mm. and 35 mm. Microfiche. Sometimes a frame may consist of two A5 (210mm x 148mm) pages or two A4 frames may be replaced by a single A3 (420mm x 297mm) page.
All microfiche are read with text parallel to the long side of the fiche. Frames may be landscape or portrait. Along the top of the fiche a title may be recorded for visual identification.
The most commonly used format is a portrait image. 16mm Microfiche where used for office size papers or magazine pages. The Microfiche are stored in open top envelopes which are put in drawers or boxes as file cards, or fitted into pockets in purpose made books.
Main Characteristics of 16 mm. and 35 mm. Microfiche:
- Used to archive A3/A4 documents.
- Size is 6 x 4 inches.
- Can contain 60 pages per microfiche.
- Often used to archive large engineering plans, construction plans and newspapers.
COM Microfiche (Computer Output Microfiche)
The word COM Microfiche comes from the abbreviation of Computer Output Microfilm (COM), this type of Microfiche is one of the most commons. They are produce by specialise equipment that reads the data in a print format and burns the data via laser. Standard microfiche are either 42 or 48X - 208 or 270 pages of data respectively.
Computer Output Microfilm (COM Microfiche) technology has been around since the 70's and is still used today mostly by organizations who need to store payroll, accounting, insurance, inventory, or employee data.
Main Characteristics of COM Microfiche:
- Computer Output to Microfiche.
- Used in a corporate environment to store and archive mainframe or computer generated reports and data.
- Widely used in the vehicle manufacturing industry to archive large vehicle parts lists, drawings and other relevant data.
- Size is 6 x 4 inches.
- Contains up 270 pages per microfiche.
COMBI (Combined) Microfiche
Combined or commonly known as COMBI are microfiche that contains a mixture of 16mm and 35mm images. COMBI microfiche used mainly for mixed types of documents mounted or printed into an A4 size fiche.
Main Characteristics of COMBI Microfiche:
- Contains both 16mm and 35mm images. + Mainly used in the building industry and local authorities.
- Size is 6 x 4 inches.
- Contains mixture of A3/A4 drawings and plans.
Why Scan your Microfiche?
Here at Pearl Scan Solutions we recommend to digitalise your Microfiche:.
Deterioration of Microfiche files. There are many factors why Microfiche get damage: handling, bad storage environment. In our experience here at Pearl Scan we have witness my cases where complete Microfiche archives have been lost due to this factors. Film fades through exposure to UV light, and becomes scratched through continuous usage. In most cases the image quality declines or is just no possible to scan any information because of the state of the microfiche.
Access to Reading. Getting access to the information in Microfiche can be sometimes a hustle. You need to look for them in boxes inside cabinets, then load them into a Microfiche reader and find what you're looking for, this process can take hours. Is this a process that you have to go through constantly, imagine how much time you will be saving in you digitalise you Microfiche files.
Microfiche Readers - Hardware. In many companies don't have a working reader anymore and the cost of acquiring a new Microfiche Scanner will be a similar price for the cost of digitalizing the Microfiche.
Storage. The idea of storing Microfiche may be considered obsolete, but the data stored in the microfiche may be vital for your company. Store space can be maximise by changing from multiple boxes of Fiche to a couple of CD's.
Benefits of Microfiche Scanning with Pearl Scan Solutions
- Save on costs and time spent on recovering and storing files.
- No more time wasted searching through film reels and microfiche slides to find one particular file.
- Documents and records can be kept safe and backed up electronically many times in lots of different locations.
- Access any filmed document instantly without leaving your desk.
- Create more office space by removing any boxes of film reels and drawers of microfiche slides.
- Historic public records could even be uploaded online for the public to view which saves time on retrieving records at the office.
How Pearl Scan Microfiche Scanning can help you.
- With microfiche scanning multiple file backups can be made and one CD can hold many fiche images. This offers peace of mind that the data is all securely backed up.
- Locate any document simply using a text search rather than searching through each fiche to find that one page.
- Archived scanned documents can be stored on a network so that relevant staff can access electronic files at any time.
- Documents can be distributed easier electronically via e-mail or online hosting eliminating the need to print, post or fax them which saves on costs.
- OCR (Optical Character Recognition) conversion also makes any fiche documents fully text editable and text searchable
- Pearl Scan can help you find your documents faster and easily
- SECURE your documents over time
- SAVE on document management and storage costs
How the Scanning Process Works
Microfiche and microfilms are sent to our offices via courier or Royal Mail Special Delivery or we can arrange for them to be picked up by our secure courier if you wish. Upon delivery to our head scanning bureau where our experienced microfilm and microfiche scanning staff use top quality microfilm and microfiche scanners while carefully checking the quality of each individually scanned document after conversion. Once the microfiche and microfilms have been scanned, the digital files are converted to whichever electronic format you prefer. They are later enhanced and each document is indexed to your specific requirements. This way you can quickly locate any required documents easily.
How do we guarantee our scanning service here at Pearl Scan Solutions?
We are a Document Scanning Company specialize in Microfiche Scanning with more than 10 years' of experience in the UK. Our team is committed to follow the strictest quality controls to guaranty that your information is in the best hands. That's why we are the Scanning-do People. Through this 10 years, Pearl Scan Solutions have been certified with ISO standards and many accreditations to back up our work. Read more about our accreditations.
Industry Microfiche Scanning Solutions
At Pearl Scan we offer Microfiche Scanning we specialise in serving this industries:
- Accounting Microfiche Scanning
- Legal Microfiche Scanning
- Medical Microfiche Scanning
- Historic Microfiche Scanning
- Human Resources Microfiche Scanning.
What are the Formats PEARL SCAN can convert My Microfiche Into?
Our scanning process is fast and accurate, our microfiche scanners can convert your Microfiche library in no time, saving you time in money. We can index your microfiche and exported to this formats: .pdf .txt .gif .tif .jpg
Why Should I Choose PEARL SCAN SOLUTIONS for My Microfiche Scanning and Digitizing Needs?
With more than 10 years providing Microfiche Scanning Service in Manchester, London, Birmingham and the rest of the UK, we have gain valuable expertise and attention to detail to guarantee every scanning job.
We will adapt to your needs, we take each project as an individual and customize our service to offer the best result possible to your scanning needs. Our quality control practices guarantees an excellent output from scanning for better character reading (OCR) and indexing. Pearl Scan also brings search and retrieval function to your Microfiche reading needs.
Here are more reasons why Pearl Scan Solutions Microfiche scanning and digitizing services are the best:
Pearl Scan provides microfilm and microfiche scanning and conversion services at the lowest prices.
Pearl Scan adapts to your project needs.
Pearl Scan offers a free trial for their scanning service.